The AFS Community
Since AFS is the oldest AA professional accociation in the northeast USA, we have evolved a nuanced structure to meet the needs of the AFS community and the wider business community. This allows AFS to engage with multiple constituents and promote cross-fertilization as well as leadership development.
AFS Core Structure
The AFS community may be viewed as a nested set of groups based participation levels. Participation in each outer grouping naturally evolves into participation into the inner grouping according to each member’s interest level.
- AFS Mailing list member or China Bussines Group memberAll are welcome to join the AFS and CBG mailling list.
They are excellent channels for sharing of information and the primary entry point into the AFS community.
- Silver memberAll who pledges to commit to the AFS mission are welcome.
Complete contact information is required to join the AFS roster.
- Premium memberBenefits:
a. To attend all AFS events at a discount price.
b. To be invited to AFS private programs.
c. To participate AFS career service program.
d. To participate AFS Quality of Life program.
e. To publish opinions or post commercials at AFS media, currently including afstoday.org, AFS yahoo group, AFS linkedin group, and AFS News Brief publication.f. To invite at least one guest to attend AFS events at a discount price.
g. To join AFS leadership team. Candidates for AFS annual board election must be active members within the leadership team. Only premium members can be nominated for AFS leadership positions.
h. To access AFS executive assistant for project support upon approval of membership committee.
i. To create a personal email account with afstoday.org domain name.
j. To print AFS business card at selected vendors.Members who identify with the AFS passion and values will wish to become invested in the AFS community.
Premium members receive preferential rates for most AFS events as well as invitations to special events open only to Premium members.
Only premium members are eligile to join the Leadership Team.
A Premium Membership candidate must satisfy these requiremets as determined by the Membership Committee:
- Has a bachelor degree with at least eight year working experience, or has a master or doctor degree with at least five year working experience
- Be sponsored by at least two Premium Members, or one member in the Leadership Team
- Paid the annual membership due in full
Dues arrear may lead to suspension of membership privileges.
In special circumstances, requirements may be waived by the Board.
- Leadership Team
Premium members who wishes to actively shape the agenda of AFS and has contributed directly to successful activities of AFS are eligible to join the Leadership Team.
The selection shall be approved by the Board based on member’s contributions.
The AFS Board members provide executive leadership and planning for all AFS events.
Leadership Team members are eligible to run as Board candidates in AFS elections.
AFS Functional Groupings
Along side this concentric pattern, we have several independent groupings which at times cut across the onion skin layers.
- Advisory BoardAdvisory Board inludes senior executives and experienced business leaders who will provide guidance and referrals.
- Special Interest GroupThey are channel of activities focused on specific areas of finance/business drawing on the knowledge and experiences of people within the AFS community. For examples: Trading SIG, Investment SIG, Real Estate SIG, China Business SIG, etc.
- Event Taskforces
These are ad hoc groups formed to develop and execute individual event such as the Beijing-NY Financial Summit.
- Standing CommitteesCurrrent Committees include: Finance, Communication, and Membership.